Movie: Beverly Hills Cop
Staring: Eddie Murphy; Judge Reinhold; John Ashton
Director: Martin Brest
Ebert's Review- 2 ½ Stars
Leo's Review- 3 Stars
The original in the comedy/action trilogy. Ebert's review is 2 ½ but his review reads like a 1 star. He found Murphy at the time to be crude and the movie to not have an identity-comedy or action? I found Murphy to be very funny as the Detroit Police punk that he is in character Axel Foley. The movie is a combination of comedy and action almost comparable to a movie like "Rush Hour". The character of Axel Foley is Eddie Murphy being himself and for me that worked. He's funny and yet smooth at being able to take down the bad guys who killed his friend. Judge Reinhold and Bronson Pinchot are hidden gems in this film.
Movie: Fly Away Home
Staring: Jeff Daniels; Anna Paquin
Director: Carroll Ballard
Ebert's Review- 3 ½ Stars
Leo's Review- 3 ½ Stars
A movie that me and Ebert see perfectly eye to eye on! This movie is a must see for families and is meant for all ages. Anna Paquin is just starting her acting career before winning an Oscar in "The Piano" or being a mutant in "X-Men". A great movie about a father, his daughter, and the two of them teaching a collection of geese to fly south after losing their mother to forest demolition. A must see for this movie is the beautiful scenery that is used by director Carroll Ballard. There are amazing views of the tree tops, fields and fall sunsets. A very good film!

Movie: Dinner for Schmucks
Staring: Paul Rudd; Steve Carell; Zach Galifianakis
Director: Jay Roach
Ebert's Review- 3 Stars
Leo's Review- 1 Star
I cannot express how uncomfortable Steve Carell's character Barry in "Dinner for Schmucks" made me feel. I find Carell very funny. I loved him in "40 Year Old Virgin" and I think his portrayal of Michael Scott on "The Office" was one of the best jobs of comedy in my lifetime! But Barry is Michael Scott to the EXTREME! The movie is about Paul Rudd's character Tim who works at an Investment firm that has a contest of brining the oddest guest to dinner. Who ever has the oddest "schmuck" will likely get the big promotion. Ebert found Carell to be brilliant in his acting as Barry-I see the brilliance because it is just SO insane! My problem was that none of this would fly in real life- and I know this is comedy- but the things that Carrel's character does to Rudd is so awful that I do not know how he has not called the police or punched him in the face! The dinner scene at the end is pretty good. Look out for a great battle between Carell and Zach Galafanakis.
Movie: The PhantomStaring: Billy Zane; Kristy Swanson; Treat Williams; Catherine Zeta-Jones
Director: Simon Wincer
Ebert's Review- 3 ½ Stars
Leo's Review- 3 Stars
Nostalgia is all around in this super hero movie that looks like a 1930's comic that comes to life. Billy Zane plays The Phantom- a boy who grows to stop all evil and avenge his fathers death by Pirates. Treat Williams plays the evil Xander Drax who is looking for the myth of the 3 skulls that will give him all the power to rule the world. Ebert loves the colors, the sound and the super hero movie without all the pumped up CGI action. I loved the fact that it seemed like a movie that I would have been in awe of if I grew up in the 1930’s. Ebert is righ, the colors and the cinematography are great but I also sort of wished this movie was in black and white with a man doing a voice over saying “When there is danger have no fear “The Phantom” is here!
Movie: Unthinkable
Staring: Samuel L. Jackson; Carrie-Anne Moss; Michael Sheen
Director: Gregor Jordan
Ebert's Review- DNR (Did Not Review)
Leo's Review- 3 Stars
Unthinkable” is the first movie of our blog where I could not find or did not see a review by Roger Ebert. The movie brings up the debate of interrogation of terrorists and how far is too far. The acting performances from Samuel L. Jackson and Michael Sheen are very intense. Maybe they are over-acting a bit but if you are a fan of a show like “24”- then this movie will bring back some memories. It is very graphic at times but is very thrilling. Kind of like “Speed”. The clock is ticking on our heroes and how much will it take to beat the clock. I do not know if Roger Ebert would have liked this movie, but I do not think he would hate it.
More Reviews to come! Please keep reading! Let me know what you think!
Leo Brady



No comments:
Post a Comment